Monday, January 26, 2009

I've decided to write about EndNote. About a year and a half ago a friend gave me a copy of EndNote, and told me it was a great program that would help organize my references. This was echoed by other people in my department who said EndNote save them a ton of time when it came time to putting together a reference page. At the time, I was sill using putting together references pages together by hand, which was an excedingly tediuos task. Shortly after instaling the program on my computer, I started using EndNote and found that my friends were right. It was a great program. I used it for one paper and I could see that putting time into building a library would save me a ton of time in the long run. The problem I had was that when I worked on old papers, EndNote would open and try to insert cites I didn't need or had already included- I'm sure some of the problem was that I didn't know how to use the program. Because EndNote kept popping up evertime I opend word, I decided to disable it, just so I could work on this old paper. Unfortunaly, I didn't know how to get EndNote and Word talking to each other again, so it sat in my harddrive for about a year before I got motivated and made it my goal to get the two programs to communicate with each other again. Now that I've got the two programs on speaking terms, I plan to start builidng my reference library. From my experience, EndNote is a great program that save researchers tons of time. I would just advise against blocking the two from communicating with each other.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on that little problem with Endnote. It seems to be the favorite, so it's good to know all the angles.

    ReplyDelete